You can find sanding sugar in the baking section of many grocery and craft supplies stores, but if you can’t make the trip, you can always use regular granulated sugar.
TOTAL TIME: 1:50
FOR THE LIME-SUGAR RIM
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 c. Red and green sanding sugar
FOR THE LIME JELL-O LAYER
- 1 c. water
- 1 packet lime Jell-o mix (3-oz.)
- 4 oz. vodka (or tequila), chilled
FOR THE STRAWBERRY JELL-O LAYER
- 2 c. water, divided (place 1 c. in fridge to chill)
- 1 packet strawberry Jell-o mix (3-oz.)
- Make the lime-sugar rim: Dip the rim of each shot glass into the lime juice, then press into the sanding sugar to fully coat. Set cups aside to dry.
- Make the spiked lime Jell-o: Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once bubbling, stir in packet of lime Jell-o mix, stirring until completely dissolved. Turn off heat.
- Pour in vodka or tequila (or whatever your preferred alcohol is), mixing until thoroughly combined. Pour into a large measuring cup, small pitcher or another glass so it’s easier to pour into the shot glasses.
- Pour the lime Jell-o mixture into each of the shot glasses, filling them all two-thirds of the way up. Place the shot glasses into the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to set. (It’s okay if they’re not fully set, but they can’t be totally liquid when you start the next step.)
- Make the strawberry Jell-o: Boil 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Once bubbling, add the strawberry Jell-o mix, stirring until completely dissolved. Turn off heat, then add remaining cup cold water, stirring until combined.
- Pour Jell-o into a measuring cup, or another easy-to-pour vessel, then fill each shot glass to just below the sanding sugar rim. (If the Jell-o hits the sugar rim, it will start melting the rim.)
- Place Jell-o shots in the fridge for at least 1 hour to set. Serve cold, like the Grinch’s heart (pre-stealing-Christmas).