TOTAL TIME: 3:30
SERVES: 40 SHOTS
- 10 small red or green apples
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. milk or cream
- 1 envelope Land o Lakes caramel or regular hot chocolate
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 envelopes Knox Gelatin
- Yellow food coloring
- 1/2 c. Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1/2 c. Fireball
- Cut apples in half from the stem down. Use a melon baller to hollow out apples.
- Mix 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup milk or cream with envelope of hot chocolate in a medium sized sauce pan. Add brown sugar and hot chocolate mix.
- Whisk to make sure all the chocolate is combined. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let sit a minute to activate. Turn on low/medium heat and mix until gelatin and sugar is dissolved (but don’t boil).
- Add drops of yellow food coloring until you get the caramel color desired. (Shouldn’t take more than 5 or so drops.)
- Pour in 1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps and 1/2 cup Fireball.
- With apples arranged so they fit tightly and secure on a cookie sheet or in muffin tins, pour caramel jello mixture into apples. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or until caramel jello is totally firm.
- Right before serving, cut halves in half again and then in half again. (If you slice them too far in advance they will brown).