Avial is a traditional south Indian dish from Kerala. A thick mixture of vegetables like drumsticks, potatoes and carrots are cooked in coconut oil and mustard seeds. Served with red rice.
- For Rice:
- 1 cup red rice
- 7 cups of water
- For Avial:
- 1 potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 raw banana
- 2 drumsticks
- A small piece of raw mango
- 1 tablespoon sour curd
- 5 bean sticks
- 1 big onion
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Seedless green chillies
- 2 teaspoons of crushed mustard seeds
How to Make Avial with Kerala Red Rice
- Boil red rice in 7 cups of water for an hour.
- Boil potatoes and carrots separately and keep aside.
- Take some water in a saucepan. Add chopped raw banana, drumsticks, beans, onion and raw mango.
- Then season with salt and turmeric powder. Stir well and let it steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add green chillies, coconut oil and mustard seeds.
- Once the vegetables are steamed, add the boiled potato and carrot along with some curd.
- Finally add mustard seeds with coconut oil and mix it well.