Mixed lentils with drumsticks, coconut, tamarind and spices. This sambar recipe is made with urad dal, tur dal and a little channa dal.
- 2 tomatoes – chopped
- 1 cup yellow lentil (tur dal)
- 1/2 cup of drumsticks
- 1 onion – chopped
- 1/2 cup tamarind extract
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt – to taste
- Dry ingredients:
- 1/2 cup bengal gram (yellow chana dal)
- 6 whole red chillies
- 3 Tbsp coconut – desiccated
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
- Powder ingredients:
- 1 tsp sambhar powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Seasoning ingredients:
- 1 tsp fenugreek (methi)
- 2 1/2 tsp urad dal
- Few curry leaves
How to Make Arachu Vitta Sambar
- Boil the yellow dal in a pressure cooker, mash it and keep aside. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and saute all the dry ingredients for 2-3 mins.
Then, grind them together with some water making a paste. Keep aside. Cook the drumsticks with a pinch of turmeric powder in some water. Remove from fire when soft.
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and saute the onions till they turn golden brown. Add tomato, ground masala and the powder ingredients with some water. Stir well.
Add the drumsticks, tur dal and the tamarind extract. Mix well. Add two cups of water and let it cook for 15-20 min on medium heat.
In another pan heat 2 tbsp oil and add all the seasoning ingredients. Let it simmer till they begin to crackle.
Then mix these seasoning ingredients in the sambar and serve hot.