Fluffy meringue mixture cooks in the hot custard just off the stovetop.
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups milk – scalded
- 1 tsp vanilla
How to Make Floating Islands
- Beat three egg yolks and two whole eggs slightly.
- Add sugar and salt, mix well and add hot milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook in top of double boiler until it coats the spoon, stirring constantly.
- Add vanilla. This is the custard, pour it into a large pan.
- Beat remaining egg whites until foamy also mix in additional 6 tbsp sugar gradually.
- Add 3/4 tea spoon of vanilla.
- Drop the meringue (egg mixture), using large spoon into the hot custard, cover pan closely until mixture is cool.
- Let it chill in a refrigerator. Serve