The only killer thing about these potatoes is the possibility that you might die of happiness.
TOTAL TIME: 1:00
SERVES: 6 TO 8
- 3/4 c. Onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 c. chicken stock
- 2 lb. frozen hash browns, defrosted
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 c. Cheddar
- 1 c. Monterey Jack
- 2 c. Cornflakes, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. chives, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion until translucent. Sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and chicken stock. Bring to boil and let simmer to thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.Stir in cheeses and sour cream.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns with sauce. Transfer to a buttered casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornflakes and butter. Top casserole.
- Cover the dish and bake for 45 minutes, or until bubbly.