- 225g/8oz baking spread, straight from the fridge, or butter at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 275g/10oz self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 4 free-range eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 1 heaped tbsp very finely chopped lemon verbena (optional)
For the glaze
- 175g/6oz granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, juice only
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease the tin with baking spread and line the base with baking paper.
Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat for 2 minutes, or until well blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.
Bake for 35–40 minutes until the cake has shrunk a little from the sides of the tin and springs back when lightly touched with a fingertip in the centre of the cake.
Meanwhile, make the glaze. Mix the granulated sugar with the lemon juice and stir to a runny consistency.
Leave the cake to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then lift out, with the lining paper still attached, and place on wire rack set over a tray.
Brush the glaze all over the surface of the warm cake and leave to set. Remove the lining paper and cut into slices to serve.