- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds or chopped nuts
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Pinch of salt
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Spread oats, wheat flakes and seeds (or nuts) on a baking sheet. Bake until fragrant and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 3Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Cook ½ cup honey in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, without stirring, until large foamy bubbles form and it starts to darken at the edges, 2 to 4 minutes. (The bubbles will start out small and increase to about ¾ inch or larger when the honey’s done.)
- 4Immediately pour the toasted oat mixture into the honey, add cranberries and salt and stir until completely coated. Quickly press the granola into the prepared pie pan using a heat-resistant spatula coated with cooking spray. Let cool for 30 minutes. Cut into wedges and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Shopping Tip: Wheat flakes are simply wheat kernels that have been steamed and rolled, oatmeal-style. Look for them in natural-foods stores.
- Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.
- Storage smarts: For long-term freezer storage, wrap your food in a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil. The plastic will help prevent freezer burn while the foil will help keep off-odors from seeping into the food.