prep time: 40 mins
cook time: 15 mins
total time: 55 mins
servings: 3 to 4
- measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml
- for cooking rice:
- 1 cup heaped rice, regular or basmati rice, 220 grams, or 4.5 to 5 cups leftover cooked rice
- 1.75 cups water
- ½ teaspoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- other ingredients:
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon shahjeera (caraway seeds) or cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium onion chopped or 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste) Or 3 to 4 garlic +½ inch ginger – crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- 1 medium to large tomato – chopped or ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 small to medium carrot – grated or shredded or chopped finely, about 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 7 to 9 french beans – thinly sliced or finely chopped, about 1/3 cup thinly sliced french beans
- 1 small bell pepper (capsicum or shimla mirch) – finely chopped, about 1/3 cup finely chopped capsicum
- 250 grams paneer (cottage cheese) – chopped in cubes
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper or pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) or add as per taste
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt as required
How to prepare recipe
- rinse 1 heaped cup regular rice or basmati rice very well in water. then soak the rice grains in water for 30 minutes.
- after 30 minutes, drain and add the rice in a pressure cooker. add salt.
- pour 1.75 cups water and drizzle 1/2 tsp oil.
- stir and pressure cook the rice for 2 whistles or for about 10 minutes. when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and fluff the rice. you can also cook the rice in a pot. if using cooked rice, the amount to be added is 4.5 to 5 cups of cooked rice.
- you can also take the rice in a plate and allow the grains to cool completely, before you add them to the stir fried veggies.
- meanwhile, when the rice is soaking, you can do the prep work by grating or shredding the carrot, thinly slicing the french beans, finely chopping the capscium/green bell pepper and chopping the onion and tomato.
preparing stir fried rice:
- heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep pan or kadai and add 1/2 tsp shahjeera/caraway seeds or cumin seeds/jeera. saute till they splutter.
- then add the finely chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- next add the chopped tomatoes. stir well.
- saute till the tomatoes soften and turn mushy.
- now add the thinly sliced french beans. stir fry on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- then add the grated carrots and finely chopped capsicum. mix and continue to stir fry on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- then add paneer cubes. also sprinkle some 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper or pepper powder, 1/4 tsp red chili powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala powder. stir and mix very well.
- then add the cooked rice. season with salt.
- gently stir and mix everything very well. you can add the rice in parts if you want. check the taste and add more spice powders or salt as per your taste preferences.
serve paneer fried rice with a side veggie salad or raita.