Tomato rice recipe – spicy south indian tomato rice
- Course main
- Cuisine south indian
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Cook Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Servings 3 to 4
for soaking rice:
- 1 cup heaped basmati rice or any regular rice
- water as required
- 3 medium to large tomatoes finely chopped or 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes, tightly packed or 200 grams tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 1.5 teaspoon ginger garlic paste or ½ inch ginger + 5 to 6 medium sized garlic crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) – chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 4 to 5 methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) – optional
- ½ inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 6 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ tablespoon chopped mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1.75 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- rinse 1 heaped cup basmati rice or any regular rice for a couple of times in water.
- then soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. later drain the rice and keep aside.
- chop the tomatoes, onions and green chilies finely. peel and crush the ginger-garlic in a mortar pestle. also chop the mint and coriander leaves
- keep aside all the spices required for the rice.
preparing the tomato rice:
- in a pressure cooker, heat 2 tbsp oil. keep the flame to a low and add ½ tsp mustard seeds and crackle them. then add 4 to 5 methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) and just lightly saute them for a couple of seconds.
- then add 1/3 cup finely chopped onion and 1/2 inch cinnamon, 2 green cardamoms and 2 to 3 cloves.
- stir and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- then add 1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste, chopped 1 green chili and 6 to 7 curry leaves.
- stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- now add 1/2 tbsp chopped mint leaves/pudina and 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta.
- stir and saute for a minute.
- add the finely chopped tomatoes and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper powder or crushed black pepper, 1/2 tsp coriander powder and 1 tsp cumin powder. for a lesser spiced version add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 1/4 tsp red chili powder and 1/4 tsp black pepper powder.
- stir very well and saute the tomatoes.
- the tomatoes should soften and become pulpy with oil releasing from the sides.
- add the soaked rice. stir the rice with the tomato mixture very well. saute for a minute.
- add 1.75 cups water. for a more softer consistency in the rice, you can also add 2 cups water.
- season with salt as per taste.
- cover and pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium flame. about 10 to 11 minutes. to get a softer rice, you can also pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- when the pressure settles down on its own. then remove the lid and gently fluff the rice.
serve tomato rice with appalams or chips or with a side raita.