methi thepla recipe
methi thepla is a flat bread and is a popular gujarati snack.
- Course snacks
- Cuisine gujarati
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Cook Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Servings 11 theplas
- Calories 144 kcal
- 1 cup methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) – tightly packed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta) or 120 grams atta
- ¼ cup besan (gram flour) or 40 grams besan
- ¼ cup bajra flour (pearl millet flour) or 40 grams bajra flour
- ¼ cup jowar flour (sorghum flour) or 40 grams jowar flour
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) + 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) – crushed, about 1 to 1.5 teaspoon ginger + green chili paste
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ¾ teaspoon salt or add as required
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 to 5 tablespoon dahi (yogurt or dahi) or water for kneading or add as required
- oil for roasting theplas as required
- rinse 1 cup methi leaves very well in water. then drain them and chop finely. keep aside.
- in a mixing bowl, take 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup besan, 1/4 cup pearl millet flour/bajra flour and 1/4 cup sorghum flour/jowar flour. i have used miller flours but you can skip add it, if you don’t have. in this case just add 3/4 cup besan instead of 1/4 cup.
- add all the spices and herbs.
- add the chopped methi leaves.
- mix everything well.
- add curd (for a vegan option add very little water instead of curd).
- mix again and knead into a dough. don’t add water while kneading as methi leaves release water.
- knead the dough very well. add more curd if required while kneading.
- make medium sized balls from the dough.
- take a medium sized ball and sprinkle some flour on it.
- with the rolling pin begin to roll the thepla.
- roll the thepla to a round of about 5-6 inches in diameter.
- on a hot tawa place the thepla. flip when one side is partly cooked.
- spread oil on this side. flip the thepla again.
- now spread the oil on this side. flip a couple of times till you get golden spots and the methi thepla is cooked evenly.
- you can also press the thepla with spatula while cooking.
- remove the thepla and keep it in a roti basket. since i plan to serve these theplas after a few hours. i have added more oil so that they remain soft. if you plan to serve them immediately then you can add less oil as i have done in lauki thepla recipe.
- serve methi thepla with plain yogurt or a lemon or mango pickle.
instead of water you can also add curd. for frying instead of oil you can use ghee if you want.