- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 cups chopped lacinato kale (from 8-oz. bunch)
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted, flesh cut into thin wedges
Bring vinegar to a light boil in a medium skillet over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 10 minutes. (Watch carefully to avoid scorching.) Remove from heat; transfer to a small bowl.
Bring broth and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat; stir in quinoa. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until just starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is almost wilted and tomatoes are softened, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir in cooked quinoa, sprinkle with almonds and goat cheese and top with avocado. Drizzle with balsamic reduction (you may have some left over; cover and keep for another use).
- Calories per serving: 414
- Fat per serving: 20g
- Saturated fat per serving: 4g
- Cholesterol per serving: 7mg
- Fiber per serving: 10g
- Protein per serving: 14g
- Carbohydrates per serving: 48g
- Sodium per serving: 542mg
- Iron per serving: 4mg
- Calcium per serving: 116mg