- 3 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup dried French lentils, rinsed
- 1 slice bacon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-diced turnips (from 2 medium turnips)
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-diced rutabaga (from 1/2 large rutabaga)
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-diced carrots (from 3 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion (from 1 small onion)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (about 2 1/2 oz.) tightly packed baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Place broth, lentils and bacon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until lentils are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the butter and ¼ teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turnips, rutabaga, carrots, onion, thyme and garlic. Sauté until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add spinach, vinegar and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; stir just until spinach wilts, about 1 minute.
Remove and discard bacon. Divide lentils among 4 bowls; top evenly with vegetable mixture.