- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings as a main dish, 6-8 servings as a side
Massaged kale leaves topped with roasted delicata squash, pomegranate seeds, wheat berries, and pepitas. Perfect for Thanksgiving!
- 1 medium delicata squash, seeded, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (use Grade B if you have it)
- Zest from 1 orange
- A pinch or two of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 bunches kale leaves (about 1 pound), stems removed, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup wheat berries, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Toss the delicata squash with a tablespoon of olive oil and transfer it to a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake for about 20 minutes, or until tender and just beginning to brown.
- While the squash is cooking, whisk together the remaining olive oil, orange juice, vinegar, maple syrup, orange zest, and cayenne pepper (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the kale leaves in a large bowl and massage them until they’re wilted and the bitterness is gone. Transfer the kale leaves to a large serving platter. Top with the squash, pomegranate seeds, wheat berries, and pepitas. Serve with the vinaigrette.