- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounces broccoli florets
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in vegetable broth, milk and heavy cream, and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in broccoli and carrot.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 6-8 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in cheese, a handful at a time, until smooth, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.