Easy to make whole grain bread with a lot of seeds in it. Tasty and healthy at the same time. Germany is known for its bread variety. This is my little personal addition to this variety. This bread was inspired by a recipe I found ounce in a regional cookbook. I like especially the nutty flavor of the whole spelt flour and the delicate different flavors of the seeds. Try it with a layer of cream cheese and honey for breakfast or with any of your favorite spreads. Goes well together with cheese and salad. Some said it taste best without anything else. I make this frequently and it became one of my favorite breads.
- 1 2⁄3lbs whole spelt flour
- 1⁄2cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2cup pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄2cup flax seed
- 1⁄4cup sesame seeds, roasted
- 2 1⁄2cups water
- 2 1⁄2tablespoons vinegar
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 2(1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- Roast the sesame seeds and set aside.
- Grease a 11.5 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Dissolve yeast in a 1/2 cup of water.
- Sift flour into bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
- Fill dough into loaf pan and let dough rise for about 1 hour. The dough should rise noticable in that time. Otherwise extend time.
- Meanwhile preheat oven (480 F, 250 C).
- Put loaf pan into oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 390 F (200 C) and bake for another 45 minutes.
- Take bread out of the oven and turn it around. Bread should easily come out of the loaf pan.
- Put bread into the oven again and bake for additional 15 – 30 minutes. Check frequently. When you thump on the Bread and it sounds hollow, bread is done.
- Take the bread out of the oven and let cool down.
- NOTE: I take the bread out of the loaf pan after 1 hour of baking and bake it until it is done. If the bread should not come out of the loaf pan easily, bake it until it is done in the form. The bread is dense (I like it that way). The moisture can be regulated by baking time, but bake it at least for 1 hour.
- NOTE: You can replace the whole spelt flour against whole wheat flour. You could also use other seeds. Try what you like best.