- 1 lb napa cabbage, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 Asian pear or 1 medium apple (about 6 oz), grated
- 1/2 C chopped scallions
- 1 1/2 T julienned fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 1/2 t gochugaru or other chili flakes
- 1 T sugar
- + pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 C soy sauce
- 1/2 C water
- Toss together the cabbage, Asian pear, scallions, ginger, garlic, and chili flakes in a large bowl. Sprinkle the sugar and salt over the mixture and massage it. You want the cabbage to wilt under your loving touch until it occupies about half the volume it did when you started. Add the soy sauce and water.
- Transfer the kimchi and all of its liquid to a gallon zip-top bag, pressing to remove all air. Chill for at least 1 hour for the flavors to meld and develop. Kimchi can be prepared 3 days in advance and refrigerated until ready to serve.