Skip to content
Recipe for Broccoli Carrot Vada
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Bengal Gram Dal – 1 cup
- Moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Toor dal – 1/4 cup
- Broccoli florets – 1 cup (finely chopped or shredded)
- Carrot – 1/2 cup (grated)
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Green Chilies – 3-4 (finely chopped)
- Fennel seeds – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 10 (finely chopped)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Take all the dals in a vessel and wash it. Soak it in enough water for 1 hour.
- Drain the extra water and take it in a mixie or food processor along with ginger, garlic, green chilies, turmeric powder and some salt. Grind it to a coarse mixture without adding any extra water.
- Simultaneously, chop the vegetables. I use my food processor to shred the broccoli and carrots very finely. You can also grate it or chop finely using knife.
- Take the ground dal mixture in a mixing bowl. Add the shredded vegetables, asafoetida, finely chopped curry leaves and fennel seeds to this. Mix with hands.
- Heat oil in a kadai to deep fry the vadais.
- Take small portions of the vadai mix and flatten using your palm to give the shape of the vadai.
- Drop it in hot oil and fry till golden brown and crispy.
- Enjoy these crsipy vadas as an evening snack with a cup of masala tea or coffee.
- It can also be served as a side dish with rice and sambar / rasam.