- 1 round (about 8 ounces) pizza dough, see notes above
- flour for dusting
- 3 to 4 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 1 slice bacon, finely chopped and crisped in a frying pan
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 red-skinned (or other) potato, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- olive oil for drizzling
- nice sea salt, such as fleur de del, for sprinkling
- For the pizza: Pull out a pizza round from the fridge one hour before you plan on baking. Dust dough with flour and place on a floured work surface. Place a Baking Steel or pizza stone in top third of oven and preheat oven to 550°F or to its hottest setting. Gently shape dough into a 10″–12″ disk handling it as minimally as possible. Arrange dough disk on parchment-lined baking peel.
- Drop dollops of the crème fraîche evenly around the dough, then spread lightly using the back of a spoon or your fingers. Scatter the bacon and thyme overtop. Layer the potato slices over top, slightly overlapping them. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake pizza until top is blistered, about 5 minutes. Cut and serve immediately.