- 1tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄4cup water
- 2 1⁄2cups flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2cup shortening
- 1cup buttermilk (OR 1 cup milk, soured with 1 tbsp vinegar added)
- Dissolve yeast in water, set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients in order given; cut in shortening until the size of small Lima beans.
- Stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture.
- Cover bowl with towel and let sit until ready to use. (At least 1 hour, but it is fine if it sits for a couple hours.) Dough will be very sticky.
- Scrape out onto well floured board.
- Flip over and knead lightly (4-6 times).
- Roll out and cut with biscuit cutter.
- Place on greased pan and let raise slightly (10-30 minutes).
- Bake at 400 F until light brown, 10-12 minutes.