I consider this the world’s best coleslaw. This is from the first Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. It allegedly serves 8-10 but I find that half the recipe serves that many. It is wonderful as soon as made and better after the flavors have melded. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1lb white cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 3⁄4lb red cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 2cups mayonnaise (I recommend Hellman’s with a squeeze of lemon)
- 1⁄4cup Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 2tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2-1teaspoon celery salt, to taste
- 2teaspoons celery seeds
- 1⁄2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Shred the cabbages.
- Grate the carrots.
- Combine cabbages and carrots.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, and celery salt, celery seeds, salt and pepper.
- Pour enough of the dressing over the vegetables to moisten them.
- Chill. Serve cold or at room temperature.